Posted by: 24thMS | August 7, 2009

Who was Stephen Dill Lee ?

The Charge :

“To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we submit the vindication of the Cause for which we fought; to your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldiers’ good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles he loved and which made him glorious and which you also cherish. Remember, it is your duty to see that the true history of the South is presented to future generations.”

Lt. General Stephen Dill Lee, Commander General
United Confederate Veterans
New Orleans, Louisiana 1906 Lt.Gen. S.D. Lee - circa 1863

If Jackson were not shot & Pickett did not fail . If the second day at Shiloh were the same as the first....

If Jackson were not shot & Pickett did not fail . If the second day at Shiloh were the same as the first ....

From Wikipedia ( very comprehensive! )

Stephen Dill Lee (September 22, 1833 – May 28, 1908) was an American soldier, planter, legislator, and author. He was the youngest Confederate lieutenant general during the American Civil War, and later served as the first president of Mississippi A&M College. Late in life, Lee was the commander-in-chief of the United Confederate Veterans.

Early life and career

Lee was born in 1833 in Charleston, South Carolina, to Thomas Lee and his wife Caroline Allison.[1] He possibly volunteered for service with the United States Army during the Mexican–American War.[2] Lee entered the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1850, graduating four years later and standing 17th out of 46 cadets. On July 1, 1854, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the 4th U.S. Artillery Regiment. Lee was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant on October 31, 1856. He served as the 4th’s Regimental Quartermaster from September 18, 1857, to February 8, 1861.[2]

Lee was serving as adjutant of Florida as well as his regiment’s quartermaster in 1857 during the Seminole Wars. From 1858 to 1861 he was assigned to the western frontier, posted in Kansas and then in the newly-created Dakota Territory.[1] Lee then resigned his U.S. Army commission twelve days later to enter the Confederate service.[3]

Civil War service

After resigning from the U.S. Army in 1861, Lee entered the Confederate forces as a captain in the South Carolina Militia. On March 6 he was assigned as the Assistant Adjutant General and Assistant Inspector General of the Forces at Charleston, and on March 16 he was appointed a captain in the Regular Confederate States Artillery. Beginning on April 11 Lee was aide-de-camp to Brig. Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard.[2] That same day he delivered an ultimatum from Beauregard to Union Maj. Robert Anderson, demanding the evacuation of Fort Sumter, which was refused and after bombardment the fort fell on April 14, precipitating the start of the Civil War.[1] When Beauregard received permission to organize two regular companies of artillery on May 11, Lee was assigned to command one of them (the other went to Capt. Charles S. Winder.) Lee’s company was assigned to Castle Pinckney until May 30, when it was sent to Fort Palmetto on Cole’s Island, arriving June 1.[4]

Overview of the 1862 Battle of Antietam

In June 1861 Lee resumed his position in the South Carolina Militia, and then in November he was promoted to the rank of major in the Confederate Army.[2] Lee commanded a light battery in Hampton’s Legion in Gen. Joseph E. Johnston‘s army later in 1861. He was promoted to lieutenant colonel in March 1862, and was the artillery chief for Maj. Gen. Lafayette McLaws‘s division of the Army of Northern Virginia from April to June 17, and then in the same role under Brig. Gen. John B. Magruder until July.[2]

Lee participated in the 1862 Peninsula Campaign, notably during the Battle of Seven Pines on May 31 and June 1, the Battle of Savage’s Station on June 29, during the Seven Days Battles from June 25 to July 1, and the Battle of Malvern Hill also on July 1.[5] He briefly served in the 4th Virginia Cavalry in July, was promoted to colonel on July 9, and assumed command of the artillery battalion of Maj. Gen. James Longstreet‘s Corps that same month.[2] Under Longstreet, Lee fought in the Second Battle of Bull Run that August and then Battle of Antietam on September 17, where his guns played a prominent role in defending the ground near the famed Dunker Church.[6] The following is a summary of Lee’s involvement at Antietam:

…he deployed late on the 15th on the West side of Antietam Creek. He exchanged fire with the Federal batteries [across] the creek on the 16th the fight becoming more intense as sundown approached. On the morning of the 17th he positioned his batteries on the high ground near the Dunkard Church, and was heavily engaged against the assaults of the Federal I and XII Corps through the Cornfield and to the West Woods. About 10AM, he was ordered to the vicinity of Sharpsburg in the face of Burnside’s afternoon drive from the Lower Bridge, and was furiously engaged there as well.[7]

At this point Lee was reassigned to the Western Theater :

On November 6, 1862, Lee was promoted to the rank of brigadier general.[8] Leaving the artillery branch, Lee briefly led an infantry division during the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou from December 26–29, where he repulsed the attacks of Union Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman.[9] Beginning in January 1863 he led a brigade in the Department of Mississippi & Eastern Louisiana until that May, when he was ordered to take command of Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton‘s artillery defending access to the Mississippi River at Vicksburg. Lee fought notably during the Battle of Champion Hill on May 16, where he was wounded when he was hit in a shoulder.[2] Military historian Jon L. Wakelyn praises Lee’s performance in this action, saying “he was the hero of the battle of Champion Hills.”[1]

Dedication ceremony of the monument to S.D. Lee at Vicksburg National Military Park

Lee served throughout the 1863 Siege of Vicksburg until Pemberton’s surrender to Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant on July 4, becoming a prisoner of war. While on parole, he was promoted to the rank of major general on August 3, 1863.[10] Beginning on August 16 Lee was assigned to command the cavalry of Department of Mississippi & Eastern Louisiana, and he was officially exchanged on October 13. He was then given command of the Department of Alabama & East Louisiana on May 9, 1864.[2] Troops in Lee’s department under Maj. Gen. Nathan B. Forrest scored a victory at the Battle of Brice’s Crossroads on June 10, and seriously threatened Union supply lines supporting Sherman in Georgia. Lee personally reinforced Forrest but the combined Confederate force was defeated at the Battle of Tupelo, ensuring the safety of Sherman’s supply lines.

Lee was promoted to lieutenant general on June 23, 1864, making Lee the youngest at this grade in the Confederate Army.[11] On July 26 he was assigned to lead the Second Corps, Army of Tennessee, commanded by John B. Hood. During the Atlanta Campaign, Lee fought at the Battle of Ezra Church on July 28 and the Battle of Jonesborough on August 31 and September 1. Lee fought in the Franklin-Nashville Campaign and was severely wounded in the foot at the Battle of Spring Hill on November 29, but did not give up the command until an organized rearguard took over the post of danger.[2] In regard to the confused and disappointing fight at Spring Hill, Lee considered it “one of the most disgraceful and lamentable occurrences of the war, one that is in mt opinion unpardonable.”[12] He then participated in the Battle of Franklin on November 30. Lee’s men arrived at Franklin at 4 p.m. with orders from Hood to support Benjamin F. Cheatham‘s force if necessary. Meeting with Cheatham, Lee decided the situation was dire and attacked at 9 p.m., taking serious losses from the Union position and from Confederate artillery as well.[13] Following the campaign’s Battle of Nashville on December 15–16, Lee kept his troops closed up and well in hand despite the general rout of the rest of the Confederate forces. For three consecutive days, they would form the fighting rearguard of the otherwise disintegrated Army of Tennessee.[1]

Lee in later life

Upon recovery, Lee joined Gen. Joseph E. Johnston during the 1865 Carolinas Campaign. On February 9 he married Regina Harrison, with whom Lee would have one child,[1] a son named Blewett Harrison Lee.[14] When the remnants of the Johnston’s Army of Tennessee was re-organized in early 1865, Lee was left without a command matching his rank, and his commission as a lieutenant general was canceled on February 23; however, on March 23 he was appointed a “temporary” lieutenant general. Lee surrendered at that rank with Johnston’s forces in April and was paroled on May 1.[2]

Postbellum career

After the war Lee settled in Columbus, Mississippi, which was his wife’s home state and during the greater part of the war his own territorial command, and devoted himself to planting. He served as a state senator in 1878, and was the first president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Mississippi (modern-day Mississippi State University) from 1880 to 1899. Lee served as a delegate to the state’s constitutional convention in 1890, was the head of the Vicksburg National Park Association in 1899. He also was an active member (and from 1904 commander-in-chief) of the United Confederate Veterans society.[15]

In 1887 Lee wrote an article for the first volume of Battles and Leaders of the Civil War,[16] and he published Sherman’s Meridian Expedition and Sooy Smith’s Raid to West Point in 1880. Lee died in 1908 in Vicksburg, Mississippi, and was buried in Friendship Cemetery located in Columbus.[2] He fell sick after giving a speech to former Union soldiers from Wisconsin and Iowa, four of the regiments whom he had faced in battle 45 years earlier at Vicksburg. The cause of his death was attributed to a cerebral hemorrhage. At the time Lee was also planning the next reunion of the United Confederate Veterans, held on June 9, 1908.[17]


Lee (left) during a Confederate Veteran’s reunion march

Based on Lee’s familiarity with the three major arms of an Civil War-era army, military historian Ezra J. Warner summarized him as an able and versatile corps commander, saying “Despite his youth and comparative lack of experience, Lee’s prior close acquaintanceship with all three branches of the service —artillery, cavalry, and infantry— rendered him one of the most capable corps commanders in the army.”[18]

Lee is also memorialized with a statue in the Vicksburg National Military Park, as well as a bust in the center of the Drill Field at Mississippi State University. The Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee Camp #545 of the Sons of Confederate Veterans in Vicksburg as well as the Stephen D. Lee’s Caledonia Rifles Camp #2140 in Caledonia were named in his honor.[1]

On April 25, 1906, Lee gave the following speech to the Sons of Confederate Veterans

To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we will commit the vindication of the cause for which we fought. To your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldier’s good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles which he loved and which you love also, and those ideals which made him glorious and which you also cherish.

ready then , still ready today!



  1. Col. S.D. Lee’s AAR – Sharpsburg (Antietam) :

    Confederate Colonel Stephen Dill Lee had command of one of General Longstreet’s two battalions of Corps Artillery, and was in the thick of the fighting both for the Cornfield and West Woods in the morning, in support of D. H. Hill’s Sunken Road line at midday, and on the Confederate Right near Sharpsburg in the late afternoon. He later characterized the Battle of Antietam as “Artillery Hell” because of the frightful toll on his gunners and horses from Federal counterbattery and infantry fire.

    By the early morning of September 17th, Col Lee had deployed his batteries on the high ground just south and east of the Dunker church (see Overview map) in anticipation of the Federal attack down the Hagerstown Pike toward the Confederate left flank. The following are his words from the official after-action report …

    Assistant Adjutant-General, Right Wing.

    MAJOR: I have the honor to render the following report of the part taken by the battalion of artillery under my orders in the battle of Sharpsburg:
    The 15th of September, 1862

    The battalion crossed the Antietam about 8 a.m. September 15, and, in obedience to orders from General Longstreet, with the exception of Eubank’s battery, took position on the bluffs to the left of the pike, facing the Antietam. Eubank’s battery, in compliance with a written order of General Longstreet, held by the adjutant-general of Toombs’ brigade, was sent to report to General Toombs, at the lower bridge, and remained with his brigade until the army recrossed the Potomac. Nothing of interest occurred during the morning.

    About 1 p.m. the infantry of the enemy made its appearance across the creek, and was fired on by my long-range guns, causing them to move back. The enemy soon brought up several long-range batteries, with which they opened on our guns whenever they fired on their infantry. Nothing resulted from this firing except to make their infantry change position. The guns engaged were two rifled pieces of Parker’s battery, two of Rhett’s battery, under Lieutenant [William] Elliott, and one of Jordan’s battery, under Lieutenant [C. A.] Bower. They were exposed to a hot fire; several men slightly wounded and several horses disabled. During the night the battalion, excepting Moody’s battery, shifted farther to the left of our line, taking a sheltered position on the Sharpsburg and Hagerstown pike, in front of a church.
    The 16th of September

    Remained during the day, the enemy making no offensive demonstration until near sundown. Since early in the morning they appeared engaged in massing their troops opposite our left, and toward evening endeavored to get into position to turn our left, bringing on quite a severe skirmish. Two howitzers of Rhett’s battery took part in the skirmish, but it soon became too dark to continue the firing. It was now evident that the enemy would attack us in force on our left at daylight, compelling us to change our hue and give him an opportunity to use his long-range batteries across the Antietam, enfilading our new position.
    The Fight on the Left & Center

    The action commenced about 3 a.m. on the morning of the 17th, between the skirmishers. Woolfolk’s, Parker’s, and Rhett’s batteries were placed in position in front of the church, on the right of the Sharpsburg and Hagerstown pike, and opened on the enemy at daylight. These batteries were compelled to fire over our infantry, but fired with effect. A continuous fire was kept up until about 8.15 a.m., when the enemy gave way and our firing ceased as our infantry followed in pursuit. The batteries above mentioned while engaged were exposed to an enfilade fire of about twenty rifled guns from across the Antietam, two batteries in their front, and the fire of the infantry of the enemy, most of the time about 500 yards distant. They suffered very heavily and had exhausted most of their ammunition.

    I should have mentioned that two guns of Jordan’s battery, under Lieutenant Bower, were sent to an advance position under Capt. John S. Taylor, but had to retire, owing to their exposed position and the fire of several batteries against them.

    About this time I ordered Rhett’s battery to the rear for ammunition, and Parker’s and Woolfolk’s batteries to move slightly to the rear to refit, many horses and men being killed. They could only move the pieces by leaving portions of the caissons, so many of the horses had been disabled.

    About this time, 9 a.m., Moody’s battery, which had been engaged near the center of our line, arrived and reported, and I placed it in position on the ground previously occupied by Parker’s battery. General Hood’s division, which followed the enemy when he gave way, not being supported, was compelled to fall back before their overwhelming numbers. The enemy having gained his rear, and occupying a position almost between his retiring troops and Moody’s battery, his troops fell back so sullenly, and were so near to the enemy, that it was impossible to use the battery. This being the case, I advanced two guns of Moody’s battery some 300 yards into a plowed field, where I could use them. They remained in this position and did good service for about fifteen minutes, under Captain Moody and Lieutenant [John B.] Gorey. This section was exposed to a most galling infantry fire, and retained its position until the infantry on its right and left retired, when I ordered it to the rear. The gallant Lieutenant Gorey was killed, being shot in the head by a Minie-ball as he was sighting his piece for its last discharge. The section with which he was serving was not his own, but, seeing it was going to an exposed position, he asked permission to accompany it. A more gallant officer was not in our service.

    Our troops having to fall back rapidly, my guns were, by direction of Maj. Gen. D. H. Hill, retired to the ridge of hills across the Sharpsburg and Hagerstown turnpike, and between the church and Sharpsburg, and fired for a short time.

    General McLaws’ division arriving at this time, and, going into action, I moved the battalion about a mile from the field, to refit. It was now about 10 a.m.
    The Fight on the Right

    About 3 p.m., the batteries having refitted and replenished with ammunition, I again moved to the front with twelve guns, all that could be manned, and received orders from one of General Longstreet’s aides to take position in front of the village of Sharpsburg, to the right and left of the turnpike, relieving Colonel Walton, of the Washington Artillery, of New Orleans. Four of Moody’s guns were placed on the right of the village; two of Parker’s and two of Jordan’s were placed at the left; Rhett’s two pieces were placed on a ridge to the left of the village, on the Sharpsburg and Hagerstown pike. These guns, in their respective positions, did good service. Those in front of the village were exposed to a heavy fire of artillery and infantry, the sharpshooters of the enemy being within 200 yards of them during the entire evening. The guns of Moody’s battery, in connection with Squires’ battery, of the Washington Artillery, of New Orleans, repelled some six or eight attempts of the infantry of the enemy to take our position. At one time their infantry was within 150 yards of our batteries, when, by a charge of our supporting infantry, they were driven back. Two guns of Moody’s battery, with Garnett’s brigade, drove the enemy from the ridge to the left of the village after they had taken the ridge from our troops. The guns retained their position in front of the village till our troops were driven into the village on the right, when, by direction of General Garnett, they withdrew.

    The enemy were afterward repulsed from the village [by A. P. Hill’s counterattack at about 4 PM], and the hill for a short time was re-occupied by Capt. Thomas [H.] Carter’s battery. It was now near dark, and the hill was held but by a few infantry.
    After-Battle Summary

    Captain Eubank’s battery not being with me, I am not prepared to speak from personal observation of his action, but General Toombs informed me that he and his company did good and gallant service.

    The officers and men of my battalion behaved with the utmost gallantry. During the entire time engaged they were exposed to a heavy fire from the enemy, as is shown by the list of casualties inclosed; but of about 300 men who went into action, 86 casualties occurred and 60 horses were disabled.

    In the morning, the battalion was engaged during the severe fight before our re-enforcements came up on the left, and was the only artillery engaged with General Hood’s division. In the evening, it was engaged in front of the village and on the right, where the fight was heaviest. I regret to state that Captain Woolfolk’s battery lost a gun on the field. It was on the left in the morning, when our lines gave way before the overwhelming numbers of the enemy. The 4 horses, 2 drivers, and 4 cannoneers at the piece were disabled, and it was with difficulty that the battery could be moved. I do not attach any blame to the captain. The piece could not be recovered, owing to the proximity of the enemy, though several attempts were made.

    Capt. John S. Taylor, Confederate States Artillery, temporarily attached to my staff, was killed in the morning while gallantly discharging his duties. He was entirely fearless, and always sought the post of danger, and his example did much toward inspiring his daring in all around him.

    Though, generally, all behaved well, I will particularly mention the following as having attracted my attention by distinguished gallantry: Capts. George V. Moody, Parker, and [Pichegru] Woolfolk, jr.; Lieutenant Elliott, commanding Rhett’s battery; Lieutenants Gilbert and Fickling, Rhett’s battery; Lieutenant Parkinson, Parker’s battery (severely wounded in the leg); Lieutenant [J.] Sillers, Moody’s battery; Sergeants Conroy, Price, and Corporals Gaulin and Donoho, Moody’s battery. I would also mention Lieutenant Maddox, of Colonel [A. S.] Cutts’ battalion of artillery, who had two guns under my command, and behaved with great gallantry. My adjutant, Lieut. W. H. Kemper, Alexandria Artillery, was of great assistance to me, and exhibited gallantry and coolness in an eminent degree.

    Inclosed is a list of casualties.

    I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

    Colonel Artillery, C. S. Army, Commanding Battalion.

  2. Report of Brig. Gen. Stephen D. Lee, C. S. Army, commanding Second Brigade
    MAY 16, 1863.–Battle of Champion’s Hill, or Baker’s Creek, Miss.

    Demopolis, Ala., July 25, 1863.

    Maj. J. J. REEVE,
    Assistant Adjutant-General, Stevenson’s Division.

    SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken in the battle of Baker’s Creek, on May 16, by the Alabama brigade–Second Brigade, Stevenson’s division–consisting of the following commands, viz: Twentieth Alabama Regiment, Col. I. W. Garrett; Twenty-third Alabama Regiment, Col. F. K. Beck; Thirtieth Alabama Regiment, Col. C. M. Shelley; Thirty-first Alabama Regiment, Lieut. Col. T. M. Arringlon; Forty-sixth Alabama Regiment Col. M. L. Woods, and Waddell’s battery, Capt. J. F. Waddell.
    On the evening of May 15, the army, under the command of Lieutenant-General Pemberton, commenced moving toward the enemy from Edwards Depot in the direction of Raymond, my brigade occupying in the line of march the second position from the rear. The army marched during the greater part of the night, halting a short time before daylight at a point about 6 miles from Edwards Depot.
    Soon after daylight on the 16th,the army commenced a retrograde movement over the same route it had taken on the preceding night, for the purpose of forming a junction on the north side of the railroad with the forces under command of General Joseph E. Johnston, General Johnston having evacuated Jackson and moved toward Canton.
    About 6 a.m. Major-General Stevenson ordered me to move rapidly with my brigade and relieve Colonel [A. W.] Reynolds’ brigade on the Edwards Depot and Clinton road, which was done at about 7.30 a.m.; skirmishers from Reynolds’ brigade being at that time engaged with those of the enemy on two roads, one leading from Clinton and the other from Raymond.
    By 8 o’clock my brigade was in line of battle and skirmishing on both roads, the position occupied by the brigade being on the extreme left of our line. At about 9 o’clock it was discovered that the enemy was massing troops on the left, evidently for the purpose of turning our left flank and getting between our army and Edwards Depot. My brigade was at once marched (under fire) by the left flank for the purpose of checking the enemy, and information of his movements and the corresponding change of my line was immediately sent to the major-general commanding, with the request that the gap on my right should be filled by other troops. Similar movements on my part were frequently made under fire throughout the day until about 2 p.m., the major-general commanding being in each case notified of my change of position, and of the continued efforts of the enemy to turn our left. Captain Waddell’s battery, which had been placed in position on the Raymond road, and a section of Johnston’s battery, which had been posted on the Clinton road, had during the earlier part of the day been supported by my brigade, but in consequence of my continuous movements to the left there guns were left to the right of my brigade, and were subsequently supported by General Cummings brigade.
    As early as 10 o’clock in the morning it became evident that the enemy was in heavy force and determined on battle, as his skirmishers were bold and aggressive, and several divisions of his troops were visible in front of our left.
    At about 2 p.m. he advanced in force on my center and left, but was handsomely repulsed by the Forty-sixth, Thirtieth, and Twenty-third Alabama Regiments, the last regiment, under the gallant Colonel [F. K.] Beck, having moved forward under a heavy fire and driven back a battery of the enemy which had been placed within 400 yards of our line.
    Having checked the enemy on my center and left, and having ordered the regiments last mentioned to hold their respective positions, my attention was called to the very heavy fire on my right. Upon proceeding there, I found that Cummings brigade had been driven back by the enemy, and that the Twentieth and Thirty-first Alabama Regiments, of my brigade, had been compelled to retire, their right flank having become exposed and the enemy having gained their rear. At about the same time the enemy had advanced rapidly on my left, and had almost gained the Edwards Depot road, half a mile to the rear of my line. Under these circumstances I ordered the Forty-sixth, Thirtieth, and Twenty-third Alabama Regiments to retire about 600 yards to the rear, where my second line was formed.
    These three regiments behaved with distinguished gallantry, retaining their position against heavy odds.
    I at this time went to the road, about 600 yards in rear of my line, and found it filled with stragglers, and hearing that Bowen’s division was re-enforcing on my right, and that Barton’s brigade was going on my left, I again returned to my second line, carrying with me about 400 stragglers, most of them from the Thirty-fourth Georgia (Colonel [J. A. W.] Johnson), whom I placed on the left of the Thirtieth Alabama Regiment (Colonel Shelley).
    With these re-enforcements the enemy were broken in some confusion, observing which Colonel Woods, Forty-sixth Alabama, made a most gallant charge with his regiment, moving up almost to his original position in the line of battle. Soon afterward Bowen’s division, on my right, and Barton’s brigade, on my left, having retreated, and the enemy having crossed the Edwards Depot road with at least three regiments, I ordered Col. D.C. Stith, of my staff, to recall the Thirtieth Alabama (Colonel Shelley) and the Forty-sixth Alabama (Colonel Woods) The order was delivered to Colonel Shelley, but the enemy having advanced very rapidly upon the right, the Forty-sixth Alabama could not be reached, and I regret to say that this excellent regiment, under its gallant field officers (Colonel Woods, Lieutenant-Colonel [O.] Kyle, and Major [James M.] HandIey), was captured.
    My brigade was then rallied about half a mile from the Edwards Depot road and in rear of Buford’s brigade, Loring’s division, which had just arrived on the field at about 3.30 p.m. Major-General Loring soon after came up with Featherston’s brigade, and recognizing him as the senior officer on the field, and not seeing my division commander (Major-General Stevenson), I reported to him for orders, and was placed on the left of Featherston’s brigade. General Loring soon afterward informed me that he had received orders to retire, and directed me to commence at once the movement toward the ford on Baker’s Creek. The retreat was conducted with order, and we arrived at the ford at about 6 p.m., where my brigade was halted. During the retreat, General Loring sent repeated messages to me to hasten my movements, which was done. On crossing Baker’s Creek, I found that General Loring had not followed my brigade, but had halted on the opposite side. I at this time received an order from General Pemberton to move to the bridge on the Clinton road, and support the cavalry at that point under command of Colonel [Wirt] Adams: but before arriving there I found that the enemy already held the bridge with a large force, and I accordingly retreated toward the Big Black Bridge, where the brigade arrived about 10 p.m.
    Notwithstanding the defeat at Baker’s Creek, there were many exhibitions of personal bravery on the part of officers and men of my command.
    I would particularly mention the conduct of Colonels Garrett, Beck, Shelley, and Woods; of Lieutenant-Colonels Kyle (Forty-sixth Alabama), E W. Pettus (Twentieth Alabama), and [J. B.] Smith (Thirtieth Alabama); Majors Handley (Forty-sixth Alabama) and [Thomas H.] Patterson (Thirtieth Alabama); Captains Waddell and [J. W.] Johnston (commanding batteries), and [David M.] Anderson (Thirtieth Alabama), who was killed while gallantly performing his duty; Adjutant Houston (—–Alabama). Sergeant-Majors [W. W.] Garrard (Thirty-first Alabama Regiment) and [W. K.] McConnell (Thirtieth Alabama Regiment) also particularly attracted my attention.
    The above names are those of the persons who came under my personal observation. Other instances of gallantry are mentioned in the reports which are inclosed.
    Of my personal staff I would particularly mention Capt. William Elliott, my assistant adjutant-general, for his conspicuous gallantry. During the latter part of the day he bore the colors of the Thirty-fourth Georgia, which he brought out of the action, the gallant color-bearer having been killed. Col. D.C. Stith acted with coolness and gallantry; also Lieut. H. N. Martin, acting aide-de-camp, and Capt. J. R. Curell and Lieutenant [S. M.] Underhill, volunteer aides-de-camp. List of casualties has already been sent in.

    Yours, respectfully,
    Brigadier-General, Commanding

  3. Looking good, I forward the address on to many outside of Mississippi. Elisa (SD Lee, UDC President, Columbus, Ms.)

    • Hi this is Brenda from Margaret Jones #27 UDc in Waynebsoro GA. Loking at the website the Caledonia Rifles has Gen. Stephen D. Lee’s charge as we think it is suppossed to be written. The Wikipedia version on the 2nd page is incorrect. Seems like someone in the SCV shortened it and put a few words out of place. Read both and see which is correct. Brenda

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: